Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Response to "From Me For You"

   This story is about Isaiah, a boy who is mourning along with his cousin over the death of her husband, Albert on Thanksgiving Day.

     I really liked the family element presented in the piece and the Spanish influence toward everything. You can really get a sense of how close the family is, even when Albert joins the family he's welcomed with open arms. I also liked how you played up the sour smell of tripe with the sadness of the days events which creates a great atmosphere of how the mood changed within an instant. The details you describe are believable and effective throughout the story without being overbearing. I liked how Debbie was described as the "cool cousin" because she could dance so well. I also liked how you focused on the cake and her dress during their wedding. Those were little clues that gave us hints about her character that we were able to see instead of being told every little detail. 
     My only suggestion/question about the story is whether or not Isaiah changed during the story or not because it seems that Debbie went through more of a change than anyone. Was his change that he normally doesn't cry, so for him to uncontrollably do it make him not himself? Debbie just seemed like more of the main character in this story. Other than that, I really liked reading this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment