Monday, March 19, 2012

Response to Matt's "Series of Omissions"

     First off this story is told in the style of an obituary and the like, about a man named Norman O'Connor who has died. It gives us details about the relationships he had with members of his family such as, his wife, two sons, and daughter. We learn that for the most part he was a good father and husband, but at times did exhibit moments of rage. 
    I love the way this story was written and I love the idea of the obituary-type point of view. I would've thought to write a story from that point of view and I thought it worked really well. I thought you painted Norman's relationships with his family members well, while also showing that he wasn't a perfect husband or father. I really liked the part that showed even when he became, in other words obnoxious, his wife still remained there no matter what, even though we can tell she's possibly rethinking some things about him and personality-maybe even some things she missed when she first married him or something like that. I also loved how you captured the memories he was survived by, even though they weren't the happiest of memories, but it makes one think, even when you didn't exactly like someone, when they die you do miss them.
    The only thing that I wanted to see a bit more of, was the relationship between the brothers expanded a little more. I kind of wanted to know why they were brawling after the funeral. Were they that upset about his death, or were there clearly some internal issues never cleared up? Other than that, I thought this story was awesome and I loved the length of the story as well. I don't think it needs to be any longer. Great job Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment