Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Response to "Chase"

      This story is about a girl named Caroline and her boyfriend Chase and how they've both contracted herpes. They meet at a lounge to discuss this among other things and while there, Caroline has flashbacks of their relationship. This story had me laughing from the start. The first two sentences are probably two of my favorite parts of the story. ("The only reason I‟m sitting with my ex who gave me human cytomegalovirus is because I‟m bored. Human cytomegalovirus is the most elegant way to say “I've got herpes.”) This story is just hilarious to me and I loved the way you took a normally serious subject and presented it in a humorous way without over-doing it. I feel like you took the elephant in the room so-to-speak and addressed it without offending someone. 
       I loved the way you described the different scenes as well. Another favorite of mine was when you said something along the lines of the sisters giving each other "aww eyes." I could picture that whole scene clearly in my head and I loved it. I actually "laughed out loud" I think. I also like the way you paint Chases passive attitude towards their relationship especially in the tattoo shop. When Caroline is reminiscing we get an idea of what kind of relationship they had, but there is a sense that he really did and maybe still does love her, and I think you're able to capture that with the subtleties of his personality. I loved this story overall. The only questions I had were about who broke up with who and how did Chase get herpes in the first place? Other than that I thought this story really worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment