I loved how close the narrator and his friend were and how it seemed like nothing would ever stop them from being that way. Clearly they're in college now, yet still they're as good of friends as they once were when they were little. I loved the dialogue between the boys; it felt real and conversational, especially the little instances where mumbling occurs. I also thought that the idea of rediscovering their lost "boyhood" was affective because we're not just given a story about two boys who go on a trip and something happens, in other words, it makes the story more personal because we can see and essentially feel the connection to the narrators friend. It's as if he's supposed to be our friend as well because the description of the old days and his time spent with the narrator was well cherished even if they weren't necessary "best friends." They were close enough to want to make this trip together. I also liked how college was the reason they felt they had something to prove to one another. It was easy to relate to especially concerning the Facebook references.
There were some instances where I felt a bit overwhelmed for instance, in the beginning the reader has a lot to take in before we actually get to the trip. I felt that some of the detail concerning the boys background together could've been condensed a bit. I enjoyed the detail in sometimes but other times I felt it was a bit unnecessary-almost too much which could take away from the story. The beginning starts off slow but then the rest of the story seems to move rather quickly. I'd like to see some more imagery especially with the cabin and what happened chopping the wood and maybe some more details of what happened when Connor didn't know what a flu was and forgot to open it, and the area in general maybe but otherwise I enjoyed reading this story.
No comments:
Post a Comment