Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Response to "Curtis and Deangelo"

      This story starts off and we're introduced to Curtis who's at a casino in Las Vegas and not having very much luck. He plays a few games until Deangelo is introduced and I'm assuming that Curtis and Deangelo are either close friends or perhaps brothers ( I was a bit confused about their relationship). The two of them leave the casino in a taxi and we hear the story of a car accident that happened years before. Then the story moves to a scene in the hospital with Curtis's dad recovering from surgery and he receives a phone call from Deangelo revealing his father has died. It seemed that there were two stories in one. We're given bits of Curtis's life mixed in with Deangelos.
     I loved how dialogue was used to move the story along and it seemed natural. I was a bit confused at times as to whether Curtis was talking or Deangelo.  I thought the story taking place in Las Vegas was great and I really liked the idea of having the two guys both be terrible gamblers and have such attitudes toward women. I thought it made them seem like the typical men who go to Las Vegas just to get laid and get rich-I loved it. But I did find it hard to understand somethings. I had trouble telling who's father died ( I assumed it was Deangelo's father) but I felt that a tag or something could've clarified that for me. I also wanted to know more about these two guys and why exactly they were in Las Vegas. Who is Mr. Berry exactly? Are Deangelo and Curtis brothers? If not I think that maybe it'd be interesting to have them actually be brothers and allow us to figure that at the end. And lastly I'm not sure if I really understood what the story was actually about. I think both men could essentially be their own story so-to-speak. Both men are complicated enough it seems like to write about them individually. You could expand on Curtis's gambling problem (if he has one), or maybe he's upset about his father so he's more inclined to drink and gamble at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment